Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wooo-DiJ

Thought I'd post with some happenings and some goals!

I've been pretty consistently running a 1.5 mile 'speed' day, and a 2.1 mile 'long day', and my times for each have dropped drastically. I started running a 13:40 1.5 mile, and around 19:50 for my two mile. I'm running, on average, 10-11 minute 1.5 mile times, and 17:20 two-mile time. Go me! I put in one three-mile run on pavement, and although my ankles were not a huge fan, I felt great afterward.

Yesterday I did my first sprint 'workout', where I ran around 100 meters as fast as possible, jogged back to the start, and repeated. Like most fitness aficionados, I love sprints. They burn more calories then jogging does, it keeps your heart rate and metabolism raised for much longer AFTER the work out, and just four repetitions of the 100 meters (plus a warm up run and a cool down run) had me EXHAUSTED and I'm sore everywhere. That's the thing about sprinting... it's great for the butt muscles as WELL as your core, your arms, your back.... everything hurts after sprinting. ;) Sprinting engages the butt muscles, where as jogging really doesn't. Sigh. I'm going to try to sprint twice a week, so we'll see how that goes.

I really want to run a 5K race in decent time, and I actually looked up some events in my area today... and found a few that might be do-able.

I have really slacked on my resistance training however, and I need to get back into doing my situps/pushups/weights. Running is nice for cardio, but my arms look great when I'm pumping my iron. ;)

Funder, I think you're going to have to teach Andrea AND me how to cook! :P

No comments: